How to Increase Content Reach: The 3 Necessary Elements
To be blunt, what’s the point in creating a blog post masterpiece if you don’t do what’s necessary to get people to see it?
You might want to just write and go with it, but don’t let all that go to waste. With these 3 elements, you’ll dramatically increase content reach, giving you that ROI satisfaction you crave.
1) Increase Content Reach with Keywords (SEO)
You’re not only writing for your readers, just like you’re not only writing for search engines. You need to have a focus keyword (phrase) to use in and around your post, including the body, headline, URL and meta description.
When you add a focus keyword and use variations of it throughout your content, you help search engines determine what your post is about and thus categorize it accordingly for search.
- Your keyword needs to be used naturally in your content where it makes sense for your readers, not just search engines.
- Make sure your keyword is relevant to the topic you’re discussing because you’ll risk being penalized if caught trying to trick people.
2) Increase Content Reach through Influencer Outreach (Blog)
If you want people to see your posts, you need to do more than self-promote on your own social media and email. You also need to involve influencers.
How do you do that?
Include their advice in your content. Mention their articles and resources to back up your own expertise. After you’ve published it, share your article with the influencers you cited via social media and email.
What will that do?
Most influencers know that it’s important to interact with those who reach out to them. Many will respond to your outreach by commenting and/or sharing your post. This will drastically improve your content’s reach.
- If you mention others’ work in your own content, you should let those others know so that they’ll help increase your post’s exposure.
- Citing others’ work improves your content’s reach, but it also helps you look more credible and trustworthy as a writer.
3) Increase Content Reach with Hashtags (Social)
Now that you have your content published and ready for promotion, it’s time to share it with the world.
Just one problem:
Why are all my tweets and posts going nowhere?
The possible reason:
You’re not using hashtags.
Sure, when you have a decent following on your social media accounts, hashtags aren’t as important as if you don’t. However, you have to keep this in mind:
The more you use hashtags, the more users you’ll reach, including many who do not yet follow your account.
Of course, you don’t want to abuse this important feature. Keep your hashtag use at an appropriate number with each post or tweet, based on each platform’s best practices:
Twitter: 2 hashtags, 3 tops
Instagram: as many as you want, within reason
Facebook and Google+: 2-3
LinkedIn: ZERO – don’t use hashtags on this social network!
- Use hashtags to increase your content reach beyond your existing audience.
- Don’t go on a hashtag rampage. Use them when they are relevant, and don’t overdo it.
In summary, these are the three areas for increased content reach:
- Keywords for SEO
- Outreach via blog mentions
- Hashtags on social media
Now that you know what you can and should do to improve your content’s reach, it’s time for you to act.
Below I’ve provided a few handy resources to help you with each of the tips I’ve mentioned. The sources are highly credible, so take their advice along with mine to get the most out of your content!
For keywords, I recommend…
Research tool for better keyword selection: SEMrush
Or check out this article by HubSpot:
For blogger outreach, I recommend…
This research took for finding and connecting with influencers: Buzzsumo
Or read this article by Convince & Convert:
For hashtags, I recommend…
This research tool for using the right hashtags: RiteTag
Or have a look at this article by CoSchedule:
Well, there you have it. I wish you the best with your own content development, and please reach out to me anytime if you have any questions or would like to know more about this subject matter.