3 Social Media Marketing Basics To Review Constantly
What are you doing to keep your social media activity fresh, ethical and successful?
I assume you want to make the most of your social media marketing. In order to do so, you have to be constantly in tune with the advancements made on the different social platforms. You also need to return to the basics for a refresher from time to time.
This article addresses 3 social media marketing basics, which you should return to regularly as a way to ensure a successful approach to your social strategy and implementation.
Etiquette and Ethics
You’d be surprised, but this category is a great challenge for some social users. Sometimes, businesses aren’t aware or have forgotten the ethics and etiquette of social media activity. It can be even harder when these rules change over time.
Here are a few of the rules and guidelines you should keep in mind when you act on social media:
- Don’t just broadcast your own materials and promotion. Instead, share relevant content from other sources along with your own.
- Consistently interact with those who communicate with you. Social media automation can be a blessing and a curse, so don’t use it for 100% of your activity.
- Never link multiple social accounts together to share the same content on all platforms. Instead, create content that fits with the different platform designs.
If you want to learn more about this topic, I recommend reading these other articles:
Common Social Media Etiquette for Businesses (Hootsuite)
Custom Platform Preferences
All social media platforms are designed in a unique way, and as a result, you should create custom content for each of them.
- Twitter limits the length of your content to 140 characters, and hashtags are very popular.
- Facebook allows for longer post content, and although it has hashtags available, they are not as widely used as Twitter.
What works for one platform may not work for another. Keep in mind that the platform(s) you’re using has features available for you that can help you reach your target audience, but confusing the different social media can not only limit your reach. It can potentially push your audience away.
Target Audience Preferences
The last category I have for you is especially important for your business. If you don’t research your target audience and their preferences, you won’t be able to reach them with your social media marketing activity.
Some of the things you should understand are:
- Who are your ideal customers based on the products or services you offer?
- Where are they most active on social media?
- What are their needs and interests, which you can address?
To effectively reach your target audience, you need to create social media personas for them. You can find out more about this in the article below. When you have these personas set up, you’ll have a better chance at developing a higher success rate and ROI from your social media activity.
These are 3 social media marketing basics you need to review frequently and update accordingly. When you do, you increase your chances of an increased success rate or ROI on social media.
Are you having trouble seeing the benefits of social media marketing? Try improving upon these basics. You’ll never see an improvement if you maintain your status quo, so use these tips to build a better, stronger social media marketing strategy.